Monday, January 12, 2009

With 2-6 Inches of Snow in the Forecast for Raleigh, I Do Believe a Pot of Chili is in Order!!

Finally -- Raleigh, North Carolina is slated to get some snow. We've been waiting all season long. And while that is what many people LOVE about North Carolina - the fact that we don't get much snow -- that is the ONE THING I would change. I LOVE SNOW - the more the better. So bring it on Baby!

In honor of our projected snow forecast, today is going to be the perfect day to drag out mom's recipe and make some chili. EVERYBODY loves chili... and EVERYBODY has their own recipe.

Blaise is from New Jersey and I am from Ohio -- and in Ohio -- we LOVE our chili. Ever heard of Skyline Chili? It is the best -- but impossible to duplicate. I know - I've tried. That's ok though because my mom made the best homemade chili ever, and I'm going to share her recipe with you.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:

1 pound ground beef (sometimes I use ground turkey or a combo of the two)
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons chili powder
At least! - 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
1 (15 ounce) can each of Kidney, New Orleans and Chili Beans. I cut the kidney and Chili beans cans in half and only use half but I use the entire Orleans beans can WITH THE LIQUID.
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:

In a STOCK POT over medium heat, cook ground beef, green pepper, onion, chili powder and garlic, until beef is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain fat off of beef/vegetable mixture.
Add beans, tomato soup, vinegar and cinnamon to soup, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on low for at least two hours. I keep a can of tomato juice handy and add a bit to the chili as it's cooking to keep it from cooking down.

(You can also add chili powder, red pepper flakes, etc. to kick it up a bit. It's up to you. Growing up my family did not like spicy food, so my mom's chili was mild, but Blaise likes his chili spicy so we add a ton of spice.)

Here comes the important part - dish it up and sprinkle with LOTS of shredded Cheddar cheese. I like sharp Cheddar. You can serve it in a bowl with our without spaghetti, with or without elbow macaroni, and with or without additional chopped onions on top. We like it loaded with cheese AND onions.

Chili is super hearty and super easy - and leftovers taste even better.
Hope you try this recipe - and Enjoy!

No comments: