Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rhubarb Crumble ....... Yumm!!!

It's Spring!
So - what's in Season??? Oh, Straw-berries, Collards, Rhubarb.... a bunch of great stuff.
One thing my husband the Chef has always told me - buy what's in season because it's at it's flavor peak and..... it's Cheap!!!
Keeping that in mind as I shopped the other day, I picked up some wonderful rhubarb at the grocery store. I had all intentions of making a pie but didn't feel like fussing making homemade crust - so, I redirected back into my comfort zone and made rhubarb crumble. It's easy, it's quick and it's so delicious! And with the exception of the fresh rhubarb, it can be made with supplies you have in your cupboards right now....
Directions

Combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
Stir in 6 tablespoons melted butter and 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or peacans or walnuts; squeeze into large crumbles and place in the freezer.
Toss 2 pounds chopped fresh rhubarb, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
Scatter the crumble on top and bake in a preheated 375F degree oven until golden and bubbly, 45 minutes. (I like to sprinkle a wee bit of brown sugar on the top before I put it in the oven!) Let cool for 15 minutes; serve with whipped cream.
I like to make my own whipped cream, it's so easy and makes all the difference in the world, but you can add Cool Whip, or Redi Whip, and/or Vanilla Ice cream.
A few variations of this recipe - you can add some strawberries to the recipe, or you can do 1/2 strawberries 1/2 rhubarb, and a nice finish is to drizzle some Amaretto over the top. Be creative. Crisps can be made simple or fancy - and they look beautiful served up in a delicate bowl, a beautiful large wine glass, or smothered in ice cream and whipped cream in a styrofoam bowl!
Have fun - and enjoy!

No comments: